My Thoughts While Watching:
- The scenery is beautiful, the rooms, the clothes.
- Holy shit this guy just comes off as creepy.
- Movie is dry. Have I become too used to action scenes?
- Not my cup of tea
I wouldn’t recommend this movie. Maybe if you were into costumes or period pieces, yes. But just to sit and watch as a regular person going to the movies, no. Dry. Just so very very dry.
Some Interviews and Extra Video:
IMDB Synopsis: Set in 1950’s London, Reynolds Woodcock is a renowned dressmaker whose fastidious life is disrupted by a young, strong-willed woman, Alma, who becomes his muse and lover.
Additional Movie Info:
It received a Rotten Tomatoes rating of 91% Fresh. It received a Rotten Tomato audience rating of 70% liking it. Average Rating: 3.6/5 with a number of User Ratings: 5,586.
Specs: Release date: 19 January 2018 (USA) / Runtime: 130 minutes / Budget: $35M
- Director Paul Thomas Anderson got the initial idea for the film while he was sick in bed one day. His wife, Maya Rudolph, was tending to him and gave him a look that made him realize that she had not looked at him with such tenderness and love in a long time.
- In preparation for the film, Daniel Day-Lewis watched archival footage of 1940s and 1950s fashion shows, studied famous designers, consulted with the curator of fashion and textiles at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London, and apprenticed under Marc Happel, head of the costume department at the New York City Ballet. He also learned how to sew, and he practiced on his wife Rebecca Miller, trying to recreate a Balenciaga sheath dress that was inspired by a school uniform.
- Daniel Day-Lewis and Lesley Manville became real-life friends for six months prior to filming began in order to establish the close relationship between Cyril and Reynolds. Though most of the time they had to text each other back and forth as Manville lived in London and Day-Lewis had two homes between Ireland and New York.
- Shooting on this film was completed on April 26, 2017, the same day that Paul Thomas Anderson’s close friend and mentor Jonathan Demme passed away from cancer. The film is dedicated to Demme.
- Although no date is given during the film, the story likely takes place between May 1953 (suggested by the client buying a gala gown for what is most likely a Coronation ball), and October 1954 (A U.K. Vogue magazine from October 1954 appears towards the end of the film).
- The character of Rubio Guerrero is based on real life dominican playboy Porfirio Rubirosa (Ruby). His marriage to the character of Barbara Rose is also based on the short-lived factual marriage between Rubirosa and Woolworth heiress Barbara Hutton.
- Second Daniel Day-Lewis movie where he gets married to his waitress. The first was The Unbearable Lightness of Being.
Categories: Movies - TV - Music