All the spoilers all the time. You have been warned!
My Thoughts While Watching:
- Bio-hazards – closest realized threat to the non-fiction earth.
- Does Black Widow ever get dizzy from all of her spins?
- If Ivanka Trump and Brienne of Fucking Tarth ever had a baby, it would be Mama Stark.
- Stark: “All of your projects have been funded.” Could you imagine if billionaires actually tried to fund projects for the betterment of society in the real world?
- Collateral Damage > Woman’s Son
- Godlike actions have ramifications, even for those with the god complex.
- “Run by people with agendas.” Is the current political climate. How horrifying it would be if superheroes actually existed. Those who want to control them both in government and private sector.
- Cap: then we give up our right to choose.
- Chadwick!! Had we only known when this movie came out…
- Baba?? Was the healing tech not available?
- I love that the Black Panther used the other super heroes as vehicles to get to Bucky.
- The jazz playing while Vision cooks > music is a supporting structure throughout all movies, it is nice when it stands out like this.
- With the accords, Tony Stark is STILL a controlling douche.
- Um… still…. Fuck Tony Stark
- Hey Spiderman!
- Tony exploits the naive nature of Peter.
- Tony: “your judgement is skewed” – irony.
- The innocence of Spider-Man is refreshing in the face of all the old timers.
- Without his suit, Tony Stark is just another rich opinionated douche entitled dickhead. “my father made that shield” Shove the shield up your ass.
- Tony Stank
- I like that it ended with Cap NOT in his suit. Like he is a man separate from the uniform. It reinforces that it is not necessary for him to be “great”.
My MCU rankings after watching Captain America: Civil War
- Guardians of the Galaxy
- Iron Man
- The Avengers
- Captain America: Civil War
- Captain America: First Avenger
- Captain America: Winter Soldier
- Iron Man 3
- Avengers: Age of Ultron
- Thor: The Dark World
- Thor 1
- Iron Man 2
Some Interviews and Extra Video:
IMDB Synopsis: Political involvement in the Avengers’ affairs causes a rift between Captain America and Iron Man.
|Chris Evans||Steve Rogers / Captain America|
|Robert Downey Jr.||Tony Stark / Iron Man|
|Scarlett Johansson||Natasha Romanoff / Black Widow|
|Sebastian Stan||Bucky Barnes / Winter Soldier|
|Anthony Mackie||Sam Wilson / Falcon|
|Don Cheadle||Lieutenant James Rhodes / War Machine|
|Jeremy Renner||Clint Barton / Hawkeye|
|Chadwick Boseman||T’Challa / Black Panther|
|Elizabeth Olsen||Wanda Maximoff / Scarlet Witch|
|Paul Rudd||Scott Lang / Ant-Man|
|Emily VanCamp||Sharon Carter (as Emily Vancamp)|
|Tom Holland||Peter Parker / Spider-Man|
|Frank Grillo||Brock Rumlow / Crossbones|
|William Hurt||Secretary of State Thaddeus Ross|
|Martin Freeman||Everett K. Ross|
|Marisa Tomei||May Parker|
|John Kani||King T’Chaka|
|John Slattery||Howard Stark|
My ranking scores –
0-19 Levels of: Ugh
20-39 Levels of: Meh (aka I cannot reach the remote)
40-59 Levels of: I don’t hate it?
60-85 Levels of: That was solid.
86-100 Levels of: I Loved It!
I rank this movie a 92! Yeah, it was that good.
Additional Movie Info:
It received a Rotten Tomatoes rating of 91% Fresh. It received a Rotten Tomato audience rating of 89% liking it. Average Rating: 3.5/5 with a number of User Ratings: 179,087.
Specs: Release date: 12 April 2016 (USA) / Runtime: 147 minutes / Budget: $250M
- Tom Holland commented on how intimidated he was when he came to screentest for Spider-Man, saying that Robert Downey Jr. took him aside and said, “Listen, I remember my screentest for Iron Man. I remember how terrified I was. Just think of it as an audition. It’s nothing too scary. If you get it wrong, we’ll just start again. No pressure.”
- (At around one hour and nineteen minutes) Co-director Joe Russo said that “The most powerful shot of the film” was Steve Rogers stopping a helicopter from taking off with his bare hands. The shot was featured in the first teaser trailer for this movie. Russo said Chris Evans worked very hard in the gym to physically embody the character, because they wanted to test the limits of Steve’s physical strength. About the shot itself, he noted, “On-set, we had Chris straining against a crane, holding the helicopter to get this fantastic shot of his muscles bulging, and you can feel the energy and determination as he tries to stop it.”
- This movie revealed that Bucky Barnes had been hiding out in Bucharest, which is the capital of Romania. Sebastian Stan (Bucky) is a Romanian-American actor, who was born in Constanta, Romania, and raised there until he was eight. In the first scene set in Bucharest, Bucky is buying fruits from a street market. Stan’s native language is Romanian, and therefore spoke it perfectly.
- Samuel L. Jackson was “surprised” to discover that Nick Fury would not be in the film after “the Russo Brothers told him he was.” Executive Producer Nate Moore stated that Fury was not included “because he didn’t add anything to the Civil War story they were telling.”
- No CGI was used during the highway chase scene when Bucky commandeers a moving motorcycle from under its rider. The whole stunt was practical.
- (At around one hour and fifty-five minutes) When Steve and Bucky remember going on a double date in Brooklyn when they were younger, Cap mentions Bucky’s date was a redhead named Dolores, with the nickname “Dot”. That description fits with one of Peggy Carter’s nemeses from Agent Carter (2015), Dottie Underwood, also exploited as a weapon by the Soviets.
- Spider-Man’s suit design is based on his original look in the comics when he debuted in 1962. The goggles change size to reflect Spider-Man’s expressive eyes in the comics, and also allow him to hone his senses and focus.
- Thor and The Incredible Hulk’s absences in the film were explained in Thor: Ragnarök (2017).
- The filmmakers describe betrayal as a crucial theme in the film: “We didn’t want the movie to be just about politics, and people arguing about platitudes. The final act is built around a personal act between Tony and Steve.”
- In this movie, T’Chaka is slain by Zemo, and his son T’Challa joins with The Avengers to track him down. In the comics, T’Chaka was slain by Klaw, and T’Challa joined with the Fantastic Four.
- (At around two hours and ten minutes) In the climax, before destroying the suit’s arc reactor, Cap tears the Iron Man helmet from Tony’s face. If he had not done this before the suit lost power, Stark likely would have suffocated, implying that Rogers was simply trying to end the fight, rather than kill Tony.
- Stan Lee: (At around two hours and ten minutes) Towards the end of this movie, as a FedEx delivery man. He mispronounces Tony Stark as Tony “Stank”.